Information for the 6th year General Medicine, Internal block group A2
Information for students of the 6th year, General Medicine
valid for the academic years when the guarantor of the course is prof. Matějovič, dept. of Internal Medicine I, Plzeň-Lochotín
Internal medicine – block teaching
Start of blocks according to the official schedule. An information meeting will be held on the first day of the block. The time and place: at 9:30, seminary room, floor -1, Dept. of Internal medicine I, Plzeň-Lochotín). At this meeting students will be divided into subgroups and will be given information about the organization of the block, seminars, credits and state exam.
All students involved in the block (including students of the program Erasmus) are supposed to come to the information meeting. Attendance is compulsory.
- Work time is from 7:30 to 12:30am (heads of the wards can adapt it in accordance to their working conditions). I must point out that I will check the attendance at random.
- At the end of each week students are to get their Credit list signed (by the teacher or the head of the department in which they were just practicing). Please do it regularly every week, not in the end of the entire block!! During the last week of practicals, students will sit the practical exam. Students should hand over the List of attendance with all confirmed signatures, seminars and result of the pracitical exam to the secretary of the Dept. of Internal medicine I. (FN Plzeň-Lochotín, 2. floor).
- The program of work is arranged and supervised by teachers or the head of the departments/units. Students will join the house doctors, cooperate with them and participate in examinations of patients.
- Seminars are organized during the block. Students will prepare a given theme with their consultants. Consultants will give the students instructions for the seminary work. The theme is presented orally during the seminar, and submitted in writen form (at least 5 pages of standard format) also. The seminary work (with the evaluation form) is given the secretary and will serve as an additional document for the state exam. Details see in a special attachment.
- The students spend several hours on duty at the Central admission department (Centrální příjem) in the late afternoon or evening, e.g. from 16 to 20 h), they should ask doctors on duty any questions they might have, and observe examination and decision making procedures in acutely ill patients.
- The Credit and practical examination. At the end of the block, at the department where the student was just working, the student sits the practical exam and is given the credit. The exam consists of taking a history, doing physicals, differencial diagnosis, any proposals of additional tests and treatment of assigend patient.Take your stethoscope. The basic theme of the exam and the evaluation will be written on the Credit list by the examiner (teacher or head of the dept.). Immediately thereafter the student should deliver the Credit list to the secretary Novakova (2. floor).
- Test and oral examination
a Test: electronic, type of answers: „best of four“ (=„single choice“). 30 questions in 35 minutes, Result: 30-27 points: 1, 26-21 points: 2, 20-17 points: 3, 16 and less points: 4. Grade 4 means a fail and the student does not continue with oral exam.
b. Oral exam: 2 questions from internal medicine and one from pulmonology. Description of 3 ECG records.
doc. MUDr. Jaromír Eiselt, Ph.D.
deputy head for education, dept. of Internal medicine I